Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Cycles for Six Countries in a Day


Today was an exceptional day in my cycling career. Keep in mind my goal by the age of 30 was to bicycle on all 7 continents and through all 50 States. By then I’d biked on 4 continents and through 30 states. My day began by driving 3 miles to His Wheels International’s headquarters, arriving at 9AM. There I met up with Richard and Tom C, two of our volunteers who were fixing bikes. By noon I had visited and distributed nine bicycles to pastor’s, Bible school professors, youth minister’s, and other Christian leaders from Romania, Belarus, Russia, Macedonia and Moldova. When I dreamed of visiting all those countries by bike I never dreamed of hearing, “Thanks, you are such a neat lady,” and receiving hugs, and thanks as I watched them ride off on bikes. There are 13 Christian Workers here for a six-week study program affiliated with Wheaton College. They will have bicycles to tour my hometown and will return home and tell others about “the bike lady.”

Well, I don’t know about you, but by the time I visited all the representatives from those different countries I thought I’d kick back and relax. Instead I got home and made some HWI calls and “pastored” one of our team members who were facing some tough challenges in life.

Around 4PM I just about caught my breath and I was off to deliver 4 bikes to a refugee family from Nepal. When I arrived I was flocked by children and then mom, dad, grandma, and neighbors came to see what was going on. It reminded me of when I landed on a village airstrip in Zimbabwe as a short-term missionary, a passenger in a small Mission Aviation Plane. I fitted the four children with bikes and since I was unsure which bike would fit one of the children I took a 5th bike with me.

After fitting the children, the mother straddled the 5th bikes. I began to show her how to ride. In sweltering heat of about 96-degree we had a parade of bikes swirling around the parking lot in this apartment complex. The father too got on one of the bikes. After about ½ an hour I was getting ready to leave. In broken English the mother said, “I love you.” I asked if I could give her a hug and she agreed so we embraced. We couldn’t share a language but we could share a thank you through a hug. The father shook my hand and put his finger up indicting for me to wait a minute. He ran inside and got me a can of pop and made a thank you head gesture. Here was an example of wanting to give back to me as a way of saying thank you for giving to us. The grandma told me her name and I tried to pronounce it. Oh they did so much better at my name than I did of theirs.

After a couple sips of pop they invited me in. I went in. Before I sat down they had turned the fan my direction making sure I was comfortable. The father ran into the kitchen and prepared a plate of fruit for me: an apple and grapes. Before long there were many small hands coming over to share in the fruit platter, which the parents wanted to give just to me. However, I welcomed all the children to eat and enjoy my feast with me. As we shared one of the girls asked if we sell bikes. I said “Yes, we sell some and we pray for God to provide the money for others so we can give them to you. Isn’t that neat to get a bike?” Before I left I told them the bikes came from the Wheaton E. Free Church where their school does their special Christmas program. I also was able to ask if they wanted information about our summer program for children. After an hour with the family I left blessed by how they had treated me as the guest of honor sharing a feast with me overflowing out of their poverty. How true that for all of us the verse is applicable: “It is more blessed to give than to receive.”

At the age of 30 I would have laughed if someone told me I’d get a hug and an “I love you from a person from Nepal,” on the same day a pastor from Russia would give me a hug and say, “You are a special lady.” Indeed God has allowed His Wheels to use bicycles as a tool for expanding Christ's Kingdom.

1 comment:

  1. My husband has given away about 2,000 or more bikes over the past 20 years. We just heard about your organization and would love to volunteer on the 4th of July. We live in Fox River Grove, IL. We used to live in West Chicago so we know the area. Please tell us how we can volunteer. Larry and Sue Schuerr

    lschuerr@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete