Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Sneak Preview

A Day of Remembrance

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28)

The count down had begun. In four days I was heading out on a 10-day 1,000-mile bicycle trip from Illinois to ...Delaware....Many of the lasting memories, milestones, and mile markers throughout my first 30 years of life had occurred from a bicycle seat.

“The world is your playground, Alice,” my high school youth pastor often told me. When I was fifteen I bicycled across the United States from Portland, Maine to Portland, Oregon. At...16...from San Diego, California to Virginia Beach, Virginia. ...17 ...through England and Scotland....I looked forward, with great anticipation, to a lifetime of exploring the vastness of the world as my playground.

With only four days to go,...July 19, 1992....I was struck by a volatile three-hour flu-like...episode. It left me completely drained. ...I was bummed. How could I get sick this close to my vacation? ...I tried to look for something positive in this horrific day. I thought, I’m so glad this “ 24 hour flu bug” decided to hit now instead of four or five days later, as soon as I got on the road. ...

When I could steal my mind away from the excruciating pain, I wandered down several bicycle memory lanes. In January, I had gone on a weeklong bicycle trip in Florida. While there I tried out a used, customized Schwinn Paramount...I... bought my new $1,200 bicycle. The bike had 21 gears, which was 11 more than I had on my last bike. So I was looking forward to the larger gear ratio, feeling I would be riding the deluxe model complete with my first set of clip less pedals. I felt like I had almost caught up with the jet-paced advances that had occurred in bicycle equipment.

Here is a sneak preview from the first chapter of my book.




No comments:

Post a Comment